Dr. Aniruddha Malpani asked about the efficacy of Social Media Marketing in a post. I posted the answer there – but am putting that here for wider circulation:
- I was skeptic about Social Media Marketing before I made it work. Its OK to begin with doubt so that you can end with confidence!
- Its a relay race. Social Media Marketing alone is not enough. Think of Social Media Marketing + Social Selling + proper CRM tracking + kick-ass Sales pipeline-progression + brilliant closure to make Social Media Marketing shine.
- Good Social Media opens door. It’s what you do afterwards with the ‘dangling conversation’ that matters. Social often gets pilloried for fault that lies elsewhere.
- Number of likes per se don’t matter. Number of likes + conversion to opportunities + conversion to closure taken together & the 5 ‘whys’ behind them is what matters.
- Marketing ROI is a tough nut to crack. Lots of activities are not ROI intense, but still need to be done. The bigger point is talk about ROI only after your tracking & attribution mechanism is crystal clear. Caveat emptor! What works for one industry doesn’t necessarily work everywhere. We are B2B focused and have made Social Selling++ work there.
Making sense? Your thoughts?