Did you think quota crushers, hunters and lone wolves make great salespersons? Guess what – radically different skills are in order! Technologists, delivery experience, highly analytical, problem solvers and storytellers are as important as ever.
Graham Hawkins, blogging on a Salesforce state of sales research identifies the following skills as most important:
1) Teachers – ability to add value and simplify complexity and jargon
2) Publishers – self-publishing is the key to stand out in an inbound world
3) Data Analysts – analyse and interpret all kinds of data
4) Detectives – researching and analyzing to solve customer problems in a world where customer success comes first.
We would like to add a fifth –
5) Story-tellers – ability to tell authentic stories that solve customer problems and/or take relationship forward.
The 4 that Graham mentioned are also very similar to skills required for social selling –
a) Being Professional first
b) Researching and analyzing accounts & prospects like Sherlock Holmes
c) Prospecting and reaching out like Dale Carnegie
d) Publishing enchanting content like a Guy Kawasaki
e) Bringing it all together like a Jedi master